Posts Tagged ‘phrases’
Welcome to this week’s “learn the lingo”, we have another assorted selection of great slang for you.
- Click – kilometre
- Compo – Workers Compensation Insurance
- Knocker – somebody who criticises
- Oz – Australia!
- Quack, or off to the quack – the doctor, or off to the doctor
- Scratchy – instant lottery ticket
- Strides – trousers
- Thingo – Wadjamacallit, thingummy, whatsit
- Togs – swim suit
- Wobbly – excitable behaviour (“I complained about the food and the waiter threw a wobbly”)
More colourful slang terms from our beautiful shores, hope you enjoy the assorted selection we have this week.
- Bonzer – great
- Counter lunch – pub lunch
- Exy – expensive
- It’s gone walkabout – it’s lost, can’t be found
- Rego – vehicle registration
- Snag – a sausage
- Strewth – exclamation, mild oath (“Strewth, that Chris is a bonzer bloke”)
- Ta muchly – thank you very much
- Throne or, on the Throne – toilet or, on the toilet
- Too right! – definitely!
More fun slang from our Great Southern Land – enjoy!
- Battler – a hard working person who is only just making a living
- Chook – Chicken
- Grouse (adj.) – great, terrific, very good
- In the nuddy – naked
- Rage on: to continue partying – “we raged on until 3am”
- Spit the dummy – get very upset at something
- Sprung – caught doing something wrong
- Spunk – a good looking person (of either sex)
- Stone the Crows – Heaven forbid!
- Top End – far north of Australia
As you can see by some of our slang, it can cause mix-ups at times. (re: ‘Spunk’)
Sorry this week’s is a few hours late, but here we are with the week’s slang.
- Blow in the bag – take a breathaliser test
- Booze Bus – police vehicle used to catch drunk drivers
- Buckley’s – no chance
- Chewie – chewing gum
- Daks: trousers
- Drink with the flies – to drink alone
- Lippy – lipstick
- Road train – big truck with many trailers (big buggers they are)
- Ropeable – very angry
- Shout – turn to buy – a round of drinks usually (“it’s your shout”)
Hope you enjoyed another round of Learn the Lingo…it must be your shout, I’m thirsty after that!!