She was expected to undergo surgery today to treat cysts as a result of urogenital chlamydiosis, a life-threatening disease that affects 50 per cent of the koala population.
Vet John Butler told waiting media outside Morwell Veterinary Clinic that due to complications with the disease, the best course of action was to put Sam down, The Herald Sun reported.
Mr Butler said that due to “extensive changes” in the condition of bladder and uterus this morning, the decision was taken to put Sam down before surgery to prevent her suffering too much pain.
“Dr John Butler of the Morwell Vet Clinic operated on Sam shortly after 1pm today and discovered that Sam had severe changes in her urinary and reproductive tract that was non-operable and unfortunately had to put Sam to sleep,” said Peita Elkhorne of TressCox Lawyers.
“The changes were consistent with the Chlamydia infection. It was so severe that there was no possible way to be able to manage her pain.
“Colleen Wood and her team at Southern Ash Wildlife shelter and all of those who have been involved with Sam are devastated with this loss.”
Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter said they were grateful for all the support they have received and will continue to provide aid and comfort to distressed and injured wildlife.
Sam captured hearts across the world in photos and video that helped to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the CFA after the Black Saturday bushfires.